Linda Witong and Gina Vucci, members of SIMC, are delegates to the 2017 session of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) at the United Nations. They are both participating in work groups, writing statements that are presented to the General Assembly, and Linda spoke about early, child, and forced marriage.
The forum is in New York from 10 through 19, convening under the auspices of the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council. This year’s theme is "Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world." There are a total of 17 Sustainable Development Goals and the focus of the 2017 forum is on the following:
- Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere;
- Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture;
- Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages;
- Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls;
- Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation;
- Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
Go to https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/hlpf for more information.